It’s that time of year when I have to go through all my social media and change the bio from 19 to 20! For most people turning one year older may not be a big deal, but to go from being a teen to being in my twenties is absolutely terrifying. I feel so old.
Given everything that is going on in the world right now, it wasn’t the most glamorous birthday. I just spent the day with my Mum wandering round charity shops, drinking lots of coffee and eating lots of cake whilst all the shops are still open. All my other birthday plans have unfortunately been cancelled but that’s okay because it just means that I’ll have to have a huge 21st birthday partay next year! At the moment, social distancing is way more important than going celebrating my birthday.
Anyway, I figured that now I am kind of an adult I should share my wisdom with the world. I’ve learnt a lot over the years, especially the last few years and it seemed a good time to pass on my knowledge.
Here’s 20 things that I’ve learnt in 20 years:
- It’s okay if you have no idea what you’re doing with your life… I spent most of 2019 having breakdowns about not knowing what I was doing with my life and since then have realised that pretty much no one does, and it’s okay! No one really has 1 career in their life, most people try out loads of different things which is what I’ve been trying to get my head around. Realising this has taken a lot of pressure off.
- As Hannah Montana said, Nobody’s Perfect… It’s very true, we all have our flaws whether or not we like to admit it.
- As they say in High School Musical, We’re All In This Together… with everything going on this is a very important one because we all need to stop being selfish and think of others during this time and do our best to help each other out.
- You’re never too old to watch High School Musical or Disney… I may be 20 now (it feels weird to say that) but I still love anything Disney and I hope I continue to do so! There’s nothing wrong with being a child at heart.
- Stop caring what people think about you… if you spend your time constantly thinking about what people may say and think then you will definitely not get anywhere in life. Trust me. Do whatever you want, wear what you want etc etc. It’s your life. You do you boo.
- You are not defined by your grades… I spent so much time during secondary school stressing out about my grades and it really got me nowhere. Of course they’re important, but they’re not worth damaging your health for. Which I learnt the hard way.
- Tidying your space is magic… since reading Marie Kondo (book review HERE) my life has changed and it’s so calming to sit in a very tidy room. I feel so much less stressed since getting rid of loads of my clutter, it feels like a weight has been lifted off of my shoulders.
- You can do more than you think you can… for example, I ran a half marathon last month (not to toot my own horn or anything) and I never thought in a million years I would be able to do that. I also hardly trained and had to do it in a storm, and did it in a good time. I always sucked at PE in school so to do this was huge for me. You can do anything you put your mind too.
- Full time work is not as bad as it sounds… it kinda sucks to start but then you get into the routine and it becomes very enjoyable. I may just make coffee 5 days a week but it’s not that bad.
- Don’t start drinking caffeine because you then can’t stop… following on from that last one, I drink way too much coffee (perks of working in a coffee shop) so now my body requires coffee everyday. I’d recommend just drinking it in small amounts, or just drinking decaf.
- Don’t believe everything you see online... especially right now, I am seeing all sorts of crap, most of which isn’t true. The media always makes things seem more dramatic than it actually is, so just take everything online with a pinch of salt.
- There’s a whole world out there… in the last year I have been lucky enough to visit 7 different countries and it really does make you realise that there’s so much out there outside the UK. If you get the opportunity to travel then do it!
- Fast fashion is bad… I have done countless posts about this which you can read here: Difference between slow and fast fashion and why I’m not buying new clothes for a year
- We must protect the environment for the sake of our futures... climate change is very serious and scary stuff that we need to be taking very seriously right now. I have made a lot of changes in my life to live more sustainability and I hope that you will too!
- Family is the most important thing in the world… gonna be very open and say that I sadly lost a close relative the other day and it’s very hard. Especially with everything that’s going on in the world it really makes me realise how much time I should be spending with them in case anything bad were to happen.
- If you’re not happy at your job then get a new one… I know too many people who are not happy at their job and I really believe that there’s no point in doing something that you don’t like, I’ve had jobs I didn’t like so I just got a new one. I do also understand that this may be easier said than done.
- It’s okay to not be okay… As I’ve already mentioned, nobody’s perfect. We all have our bad days and have periods of feeling down which is perfect normal. It’s also okay to open up to other people, there’s always someone who will listen
- Going to work hungover is not the best idea… this is honestly one of the biggest pieces of advice I think that I can give and I talk from experience. Obviously depends on your job but I really wouldn’t recommend it because it is really not very fun! The night before may be fun but the day after usually isn’t.
- Recognise your achievements, give yourself some credit… I think this is one of the biggest things I have learnt recently, I keep thinking that I have wasted my gap year when in reality I have done SO MUCH! I have travelled solo travelled to so many places which I know so many other people wouldn’t do, I ran a freakin half marathon at 19 years old and I’ve got a great full time job. I’ve achieved a lot and I’m proud and shall brag about it!
- Girlllll you are amazing!!! I guess this follows on from the last one, I’ve never thought that positively about myself in terms of body image, achievements, pretty much everything when in fact I am a pretty awesome human being who’s been through and done so much in the last 20 years!
Here’s to the next 20 years I guess
What are some important things that you have learnt in your lifetime?!